The USA dominated track & field competition, in medals and points scoring, with USA, Russia and Jamaica going 1-2-3 in both. Team USA finished with 29 medals (9 gold, 13 silver, 7 bronze), with Russia second with 18 (8 gold, 4 silver, 6 bronze). Jamaica was third with 12 medals (4 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze).
2012 Olympic Facts for Team USA
- Allyson Felix is the first woman since Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988 to win three gold medals at a single Olympic Games
- The 0.55 second improvement in the women's 4x100m relay world record (41.37 to 40.82) was the largest drop in that event in the modern era.
- Ashton Eaton's 10.35 in the 100m is an Olympic Decathlon record
- Sanya Richards-Ross is only the second U.S. woman to win the 400m at the Games
- 29 medals (9 gold, 13 silver, 7 bronze) for USA track and field is our biggest Olympic medal collection since the 1992 Olympic Games
Top Olympic Performances for Track & Field (Team USA)
- Galen Rupp, men's 10,000m - 27:30.90 (Silver)
- Leo Manzano, men's 1,500m - 3:34.79 (Silver)
- Justin Gatlin, men's 100m - 9.79 (Bronze)
- Aries Merritt, men's 110m hurdles - 12.92 (Gold)
- Women's 4x100m relay - 40.82 (Gold & World Record)
- Men's 4x100m relay - 37.04 (Silver)
- Brigetta Barrett, women's high jump - 2.03m/6-8 (Silver)
- Ashton Eaton, men's decathlon - 8,869 pts. (Gold)
- Lashinda Demus, women's 400m hurdles - 52.77 (Silver)
Track & Field Records Set at Olympic Games by Team USA
- World Record - Women's 4x100m relay (40.82)
- American records - Men's 4x100m relay (37.04) and Women's 4x100m relay (40.82)
WAY TO GO TEAM USA!